Discover new platforms that better align with your goals and audience, offering unique experiences and opportunities for content creation and consumption.
Performing a device restart can help resolve various software glitches, including the “Something Went Wrong” error. Before going any further, follow these steps to restart your iPhone or iPad:
- Press and hold the power button (located either on the side or top of your device) until the “Slide to Power Off” slider appears.
- Drag the slider from left to right to turn off your device.
- Wait for five to ten seconds, then press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears.
- Release the power button and let your device complete the restart process. Once your device has restarted, open the YouTube app and check if the error persists.
Check if Your Device Software Is Up-to-Date
- Go to the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll down and tap on “General.”
- Tap on “Software Update.”
- If a new software update is available, you’ll see the option to “Download and Install.” Tap on it to initiate the update process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software update. Once your device is updated, reopen the YouTube app and see if the error persists.
Log Out/Log In to Your YouTube Account
- Open the YouTube app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your profile picture or avatar icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap the “Sign Out” or “Switch Account” option.
- Confirm the action by selecting “Sign Out” or the account you want to switch to.
- Once you are signed out, tap “Sign In” or “Add Account” to log back in.
- Enter your YouTube account credentials and follow the prompts to sign in. After signing in, check if the “Something Went Wrong” error has been resolved.
Allow Cellular Data/Background App Refresh for the YouTube App
To check if YouTube servers are down, visit the Kinsta resource guide on “How to Check If a Website Is Down.”This comprehensive resource provides a variety of methods and tools to determine if a website, including YouTube, is experiencing any current downtime.
9 Ways To Fix the “Something Went Wrong” YouTube Error on Mobile (iPhone and iPad)
When the “Something Went Wrong” error is due to a broken link, it can have a detrimental impact on both the SEO of a website and the overall user experience.
Whether you’re using the YouTube website or the mobile app, you might see slightly different versions of messages. You could see “An error occurred. Please try again later” on your desktop or “Tap to retry” on your iPhone.
Whether you are looking for platforms that focus on niche communities, offer enhanced monetization options, or prioritize privacy and data control, there are options beyond creating a YouTube channel. To learn more about these alternatives and their features, check out our comprehensive article on the best YouTube alternatives.
Preventing the occurrence of the “Something Went Wrong” error on YouTube requires proactive measures to ensure a smooth video playback experience for your audience. While some factors causing the error may be beyond your control, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering this issue.
Trust Kinsta to provide the necessary infrastructure and troubleshooting support to keep your app or website working the way it should, when it should. Experience why 55,000 developers use Kinsta each day, and start your free trial of Application Hosting or Database Hosting now.
As a result, businesses can maintain a smooth user experience, prevent SEO impact from broken links, and maximize their reach by choosing a hosting provider that prioritizes performance and stability.
In this article, we will provide an in-depth and complete guide outlining how to fix the “Something Went Wrong” error on YouTube for mobile and desktop devices. We’ll also discuss the various causes of the error and provide tips on how to prevent it from occurring in the future. By the end of this article, you’ll understand why you’re seeing this error and know the precise steps you can take to fix it now.
What Is the “Something Went Wrong” Error On YouTube?
Encountering the “Something Went Wrong” error on YouTube can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to resolve it on your iOS mobile device. Here are nine ways to fix this error and get back to enjoying uninterrupted YouTube videos on your iPhone or iPad.
Turn Airplane Mode On/Off (Disconnect/Reconnect to WiFi or Cellular)
- Swipe down from the top-right corner of your screen (iPhone X or newer) or up from the bottom of your screen (iPhone 8 or older) to access the Control Center.
- Tap the airplane icon to enable Airplane Mode. Wait a few seconds and then tap the airplane icon again to disable Airplane Mode.
- After disabling Airplane Mode, reconnect to your WiFi network or cellular data by going to Settings > WiFi or Settings > Cellular and selecting your network.
- Launch the YouTube app and check if the “Something Went Wrong” error persists. If it does, proceed to the next step.
Ensure YouTube App Is Up to Date (How to Update the YouTube App)
- Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your account profile picture at the top-right corner of the App Store screen.
- Scroll down to find the “Available Updates” section. If an update for the YouTube app is available, you’ll see it listed here.
- Tap the “Update” button next to the YouTube app to download and install the latest version.
- Once the update is complete, relaunch the YouTube app and check if the error is resolved.
Restart Your Device
Changing your device’s DNS (Domain Name System) settings can also help resolve network-related issues that might be causing the “Something Went Wrong” error. Here’s how you can change DNS settings on your iPhone or iPad:
- Open the “Settings” app on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on “WiFi” or “Cellular” (depending on your current network connection).
- Find the network you’re connected to and tap on the “i” or information icon next to it.
- On the network details screen, scroll down and tap the “Configure DNS” option.
- Choose the “Manual” option.
- Tap on “Add Server” and enter the new DNS server address. You can use public DNS servers like Google DNS (18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124) or Cloudflare DNS (126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52).
- Tap on “Save” to apply the new DNS settings.
- Exit the Settings app and open the YouTube app to check if the error has been fixed.
Using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can help resolve YouTube’s “Something Went Wrong” error by bypassing potential network restrictions or resolving connectivity issues. Here’s how you can use a VPN on your iPhone or iPad:
- Download and install a reliable VPN app from the App Store. Several reputable VPN providers are available, such as NordVPN, ExpressVPN, or CyberGhost.
- Open the VPN app once it’s installed on your device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up and configure the VPN app. This typically involves creating an account and selecting a server location.
- Once the VPN app is set up, connect to a server location of your choice. Choosing a server close to your physical location is recommended for better performance.
- After establishing a VPN connection, open the YouTube app and check if the error no longer persists.
Change DNS Settings
When encountering “Something Went Wrong” error on YouTube while using your desktop Mac computer, there are several solutions you can try to resolve the issue.
Disconnect/Reconnect to WiFi
- Click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar at the top-right corner of your Mac screen.
- Select “Turn WiFi Off” to disconnect from the WiFi network.
- Wait for a couple of seconds, then click the WiFi icon again and choose “Turn WiFi On” to reconnect to the network. Once reconnected, open your web browser and access YouTube to check if the error persists.
- Click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Select “Restart” from the drop-down menu.
- Wait for your Mac to shut down and restart. Once your Mac has restarted, open your web browser, navigate to YouTube, and see if the error persists.
Ensure Desktop Browser is Up to Date
- Open your Mac’s web browser (e.g., Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox).
- Click on the browser’s menu button, usually represented by three vertical dots or lines in the window’s top-right corner.
- From the drop-down menu, select “About [Browser Name]” (e.g., “About Safari” for Safari browser).
- A new window or tab will open, displaying information about the browser and its version.
- Check if you have the latest version of the browser installed. If an update is available, follow the prompts to update your browser to the newest version.
- After updating, relaunch your browser and visit YouTube to see if the error persists.
Try a Different Desktop Browser
- If you are currently experiencing the “Something Went Wrong” error on YouTube using one web browser, such as Safari, consider trying a different browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Open the alternative web browser installed on your Mac.
- Visit the YouTube website and check if the error persists. If the error doesn’t occur in the alternative browser, it suggests that the issue may be specific to the original browser you were using.
Log In and Out of Your YouTube Account
- Open YouTube in your web browser.
- Click on your profile picture in the top-right corner of the YouTube page.
- Select “Sign Out” from the drop-down menu to log out of your YouTube account.
- After signing out, click the “Sign In” or the profile picture icon again.
- Enter your YouTube account credentials and log back in. Once logged in, try accessing videos or performing actions on YouTube to check if the error has disappeared.
That’s where a reliable hosting provider like Kinsta comes in. With its 24/7 support available 365 days a year, and troubleshooting features, Kinsta helps ensure your apps and websites are accessible and as free from technical glitches as possible.
YouTube is the most widely used video-sharing platform on the internet today and is visited by tens of millions of people daily. Unfortunately, it isn’t immune to occasional issues. The “Something Went Wrong” error is one of the most common messages a user will see when things aren’t working as they should.
Clearing the cache can help resolve issues related to stored data that may be causing the “Something Went Wrong” error. The steps to clear the cache may vary slightly depending on your browser. Here are instructions for using the built-in Safari browser on your Mac:
- Open your web browser.
- Click “Safari” in the top left corner of your menu bar and select “preferences.”
- Locate the option for “Advance” settings on the top right and click on it.
- Click the checkbox at the bottom of the screen labeled “Show develop menu in menu bar
- Close the settings page and return to your Safari browser.
- At the top menu bar, hover your mouse over the “Develop” tab.
- Locate and click the option for “Empty Caches”
Use a VPN
This error can disrupt your video playback and impede your access to certain features on YouTube. But that’s not all.